Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Little fish in a BIG new pond

To whoever is out there, hello!

When I started my teacher education this past September, I did not grasp how big of a world I was emerging myself into. As a fresh graduate proudly clutching my Bachelor of Arts, I was under the impression that I was here to learn, how to teach. However, now my fifth month deep into this program, I've realized I am still a student, and I am here to learn.

Things I have learned so far:

- There are a LOT of acronyms in this business (OCT, OSR, IEP, IPRC, QECO, OECTA) and they all mean VERY different things
- Lesson plans are an excellent way to map out my teaching, but as much as I enjoy how organized they make my practice, and I am happy that they are temporary
- The world, thankfully (and finally) is becoming an increasingly inclusive place, and it starts in our schools! There is a place for EVERYONE, and I am excited to prove that to all the students that I cross paths with
- When it comes to time management, it's a sink or swim concept! Grab some water wings and do your best to stay afloat!
- As much as I learn at Brock everyday, I have accepted that I will never learn it all, as learning to teach is on going

Lastly, though the schools days are long, I can say with confidence that everyday, I become more and more confident that one day I am going to be an effective, compassionate, "in-it-for-the-long-haul" teacher.

Wish me luck!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment